Thursday, September 9, 2010

what should have been

Tuesday "should have been" a really big day in my house. The day that so many parents look forward to and dread all at the same time.
Ben had his first day of Kindergarden.
The thing is... Ben's been being picked up to go to school for two years now. So... it really wasn't that monumentel event I wish it had been.
Brent and I should have had him dressed to the nines (which we did), hair brushed (which we did) and delivered him to the school for the big walk up to the door.
We didn't.. I didn't even take the morning off. Why? That would be too upsetting to Ben. He's used to getting on the bus, but when I'm home, in his mind, it should be a day off. Why would I be home and not him? Days that I am off (few and far between), I pretend to leave and hide in the bedroom until he leaves for school.
So..... The big special day, was just another autismic day.
Brent and I tried to prepare him as best we could. We made several trips to the school to show him what it looked like. Spoke that Barcley was no longer his school.. played on the playground, crashed the door one day in August and recieved a 5 minute tour from the principal, and made an appointment with his teacher to meet her and the new room last week prior to the start.
We seriously try.
Ben's first day was pretty good. The teacher reported that although he did not want to get off the bus, she was able to coax him eventually, and he gave her a hug, took her hand, and walked off to her room. It was reported he had a happy day these first two days. Thank God!
Ben has also started another new program. The SACC program which is the school based after-care program. Our daycare cost should go from 800 per month to 229 per month. SWEET!
Only one little issue. Have I mentioned Ben has regressed with potty training. He is now averaging about 6 accidents per day. He's not even making an effort to go to the bathroom. WTF!!!! Seriously? Can't something just go right?
The after-care program said they would change him. just between you and me? My biggest fear? He'll whip out his stuff on the playground and just pee right there in the mulch. and then guess what? He's outtttaaaaa thereeeeee! Keep a good thought!
Our school district is off for the next two days (jewish holidays) so... Ben get's two days of school, get's used to it... and then off to daycare for two days. My head's spinning, my guess is his too.
Also the issue of communication....
Friday, I'll be picking Ben up about 2 and heading to the beach. We'll stay until Sunday building sandcastles, swimming, going on rides, eating pizza and icecread..... weeeeeeeee. oh pardon me, I just got excited. Hopefully Ben will be too!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment