Friday, December 10, 2010

Am I "over-autisming"?

Yeah, I know it's not a word.
We're getting busy. Much of what we're doing revolves around Bens autism. No, I'm not talking therapy's (Though god knows I should be).
We've just joined a sports group at little sport. They have an autism group that has a coach and a special ed teacher. We missed the first week, but they let us join for the remaining 5 sessions. there are only three other boys in the group, but that would probably be a great start. Ben's an active guy, so it seems like a winner..
We just bought our tickets to Sahara Sams' water park special needs night. Next Friday we'll swim, slide, and just be festive with I hope many other families. That and not lose our suits on the water cannon. (Ok Brent could lose his suit, and give me years of laughs, stories, and chuckles... but not me!)
Saturday night is open arms at the YMCA. Ben loves that pool (though brent and I are spoiled with the JCC keeping their pool at 88 degrees) This 78 degree pool is killing us!!! We don't need to go anymore. We now have a membership to swim whenever we want, but so few families take advantage, we feel like we have to support them, and they were our golden ticket for a year. misplaced loyalty maybe.. but I keep strong arming Brent to go.
Sunday, we're going to a special needs Christmas party. 40-50 people, most with children on the spectrum. Ben hates Santa, but we're supposed to bring a small toy with his name on it for Santa to give back. I have a feeling this will be a bad investment. It's being put on by a neighboring community center. They'll provide the pizza, soda, DJ and Santa, and we just show up with a small side dish or desert. Sounds like my kind of party!
All of these activities sound fun, but I think we're making our lives revolve around autism. Quick note, I do realize autism makes itself quite known in our world.. but...am I living in the "real world" anymore?

1 comment:

  1. just my 2 cents, but i dont think you're revolving your life around "autism"... you are revolving your life around your child/children. Ok, one child has autism... what if one of your neurotypical kids was a great athlete and you spent your week going to soccer games or whatever? I mean, we all revolve our lives around our kids, right? The whole month of december, we ran around and did so much for our 3 other neurotypical girls...to the point where it bordered on overstimulation! haha! we all just try to do whats best and, as good mommy's do, always start second guessing. but thats part of it too. I think youre doing awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete