Monday, December 6, 2010

"That's the autistic kid"

So...
Yesterday Ben, his dad and I hit the mall. No.. we weren't shopping, ya see it's mortgage week, and that always puts a crimp in our free spending. Now, with Ben, we luck out. We can go into toy stores, and toy departments in Boscov's and he's happy to play with toys while they stay in their packaging. He's great about leaving, with the promise of "we'll come back another time". NEVER had a tantrum of I want this.. blah blah blah. That would be the one "upside" to autism I can think of.
So... There we were in Boscov's minding our own buisness, when a little boy tells his sister.. "That's the autistic kid at school". Well, I didn't hear it, but Brent was standing next to them. He asked the child if he went to Bens school, he did, and Brent said "yeah that's him." Brent raced down the isle, and told me what had happened then asked me if it bothered me. Truthfully it didn't (at the moment). I'm all about intent. Did I think he was trying to be bratty? No. I think he was just spitting out what he had been told.
Now.. after some time and space, Brent asked me again later that night if it bothered me. I was able to then say, no, but a better reply for us would have been to introduce Ben, and let the boy know if he sees him in the hall he could say "Hi Ben". Turning "the autistic kid" into Ben.
Also, we have our confrence with the teacher tomorow. I will be interested to know what information is given to k-5 regarding the special ed kids. How are they explained? This child was k or 1st grade.... How does he know what he knows?
We can't pretend to be suprised anymore that even very young children see the difference in Ben. I'm talking babies kind of study him. His differences are too obvious and obvious quickly. Everywhere we go children watch Ben. I don't think they're judging him, (they're still too young) but they're trying to figure him out.
At the playground, a 2-3 year old was following him around, trying to play with him, trying to have a conversation. Well, we loved it. We wish there were more kids that were persistant. Who followed him around and found what he was doing to be fun, and worth spending the time.
Ben is so happy pretty much 24/7.
Sometimes......I just get so damn sad and overwhelmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment