Wednesday, March 31, 2010

We should all care

How many causes are out there we vow to uphold. Several, and most are completely worthy. Well.. I have a new one. When we (Adults) are out, whether it's the mall, the park, the bus,and we see kids being inappropriate, we speak up. How often have you seen unacceptable behaviour and given a look, or said something to whomever you were with, but didn't address the person with the behavior?
Today at the park a group of young teenage boys were hanging out. I have no problem with that. As I enter the park I'm watching one boy kick the wood bars out of a fence. They're the big log bars and they're removed and put back 100 times a year, so I wasn't overly invested, but said "Don't break the fence". This was said pretty casually and without malice. One boy, which is all it takes begins being "fresh" I say "you shouldn't be fresh" he comes back with more. Now, I'm not concerning myself with fresh ass, that's for his parents who must know what he's like, and I'm sure eventually the police will become his friend, I feel bad about this.
The thing is.... Let's as adults agree not to allow kids to behave like this without comment. Let's agree as adults when kids are speaking and looking for the shock factor with eithe language, sexual content, etc, we stand up annd say something.
I live near South St. in Philly and was there a couple Saturdays ago duing the day. That night a huge group of kids had a flash mob. They drug people from cars, kicked a woman's teeth out and generally led chaos. It is time for adults to say No. If there's 1, 2, or 10.
It's for our good as well as theirs.
And if your a parent and a neighbor or anyone takes the time to let you know about your child thank them.
Don't play neighboorhood peacekeeper. If you know a neighbors child is doing what they shouldn't, have the respect to think the parents would want to know.
This is my vow.

No comments:

Post a Comment