Friday, April 2, 2010

National Autism Day

I wish I could write like this: http://adiaryofamom.wordpress.com/

Thankfully she can.
This mom talks about our children needing acceptance. We as parents looking for understanding. Commodities in a tough world sometimes.

As a positiive, I think back to elementry school, and recognize the two children there I believe were autistic. As young children, we were facinated by Chucky and his flapping hands. Many of us imitated him. Not making fun of him, but just interested in how it looked and felt. innocence of childhood.
Later I remember a girl Dina. She was bullied, I just don't think she knew. We'd all raise our feet when Dina walked across the floor. She smiled and laughed and thought it was a game. THANK GOD!

I remember the first child I recognized as having autism. He came into a restaurant I was working in and rocked and repeated phrases. I was completely unfamiliar with autism, but recognized this wasn't an example of poor behavior or parenting.
I've been lucky. I still haven't had that "incident". I know it's out there. I know the time will come. What will I say? How will I do? I don't know.

With bullying being front page news lately, what parent of an autistic child isn't haunted by what could happen. Who hasn't revisited every time in their past when an act of kindness was too much to ask. I could be a rotten kid sometimes, but even back then, I recognized something wasn't right. Did I stand up, no.

I think kids are different today. Kids really don't see ethnicity like my generation did.
Kids don't see gay lifestyles the same way we did. I think they're exposed to role models who allow them to see different people in a respectful way.

God I hope acceptance continues down the line. Please let my child find a comfortable place in life where others can see his value.

God please!!!

3 comments:

  1. It's coming. Acceptance is coming slowly but surely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for your kind words about my post.

    keep writing. keep telling your story. we're getting there.

    did you see the comments on the post that you linked to? a woman apologized for having judged our kids. others with no direct link to autism pledged their support. there are good people out there.

    and we will reach them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've dealt with terrible bullying, and all I can say is I sure hope to hear about less and less of it until there's none at all!

    ReplyDelete