Monday, April 19, 2010

Defined or Titled

When I think about how I am defined, there's several titles that come to mind.
Mrs, Spouse, Mother, Daughter, Work Title, Home Owner, etc. You get the idea. Fill out a survey, or school paperwork, and you're asked to define yourself several times.
Where is this going?
We went to the Philadelphia Zoo yesterday for autism awareness day. Had a great time, they really do a lot for it. There's a tent with entertainment all day, vendors, and several families wtih children on the spectrum.
Probably could also say, many suprised families that had no idea it was a specail event at the zoo, and probably wished they had picked a different day. That's not being cruel or thinking they're cold. It's got to suck when your kid says multiple times, "what's he doing, is that boy in a wheelchair, what's wrong with them?" I know there was a recent time, I would have sunk into the ground.
We had Ben in his new "stroller", and I had thought it was wheelchair esque, but now I'm sure. The whole "Is that boy in a wheelchair?" was directed toward Brent, and the poor dad probably got a callouse wheeling out of the area so fast. LOL
Anywhoo.... Brent is a huge advocate. If there's an autism awareness item to be bought... he's there. Got himself a t-shirt, we bought a few stickers stating someone in this home is autistic. One for the house, and one each for our cars, in case. He bought himself another big ass magnet, which he put on our fridge. Our fridge already has a sticker on it.
I didn't say anything, but I don't want it there. Ben doesn't get it or notice at this point, but WHEN he does.... I don't want him being defined by autism.
Is autism a title or definition? I'd like to go with title. Son, student, baseball player (hopefully), autistic. My fear is that Autistic will take it.
Just think. Of all the titles you have, which one defines you? I can't grasp on to any single one. Each is very important to me.
I also don't want one to = Ben.
I don't know. What's the answer. Have I not accepted this yet? Am I trying to deny it? Does Autism define him?
I didnt' say anything to Brent about the fridge magnent. Maybe I'll just hide it. Blame the dog.

2 comments:

  1. Oh he is only defined by it if you let him be defined bye it. Don't let it limit Ben. Use it when necessary to explain, advocate whatever but it doesn't define him. Devin has autism but autism doesn't have him. I won't let it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I saw the dog eat the magnet. ;-)

    ReplyDelete