Thursday, April 22, 2010

steamed and again...scared

Tuesday there was a "historical" vote in Cherry Hill. It was the school budget vote. New Jersey Governer Christie encouraged all to vote no for the budget if teachers didn't take a pay freeze. This after the state had majorly cut funding to school districts, special ed, etc. (I hate that MF)
With that said, I did go, and voted to approve the school budget. My opinion.
The budget did not pass. It was defeated by about 500 votes. Cherry hill is pretty big, so this was a minimal amount of votes.
I could deal with it. For me and Ben... it doesn't matter overly much. He's going into a contained kindergarten and the state (at least for now) mandates 1 teacher and three aides, no more then six children per class.
There's a talk radio station. I don't listen to them, because like many talk jocks, their job is to annoy you enough to call in, get ratings etc. They had been big proponents of not passing the budgets also. I wondered how they had reacted to 60% of jersey schools not passing, and thought I'd tune in for a moment.
Well.... The first caller I hear is a teacher in South Jersey. She feels money is wasted, and it's because "everyone" needs to be included. Are you kidding me? This is a teacher? Now the jocks ended her call, and made it sound like she was suggesting kids be grouped by ability like we were when we were younger. I knew better what she was saying.
The next call... and I shit you not... was from someone who worked in the school district. I don't know if he was a teacher, janitor, landscaper... but.... He feels money is being thrown away on Special Ed. He went on to say that special ed teachers are plentiful, because they can only work with so many kids at a time, and dare he say... we the parents are demanding services.
I was rounding the bend toward home, and at that point just turned off the radio. I was too stunned for words. This came after reading a blog: ://roostercalls.blogspot.com/2010/04/walking-plank.html
The blog talked about a kindergartner being teased by his peers. I had left a messege saying it was up to the teachers and staff to ensure kids understood the child, and that there was no room for teasing or singling out this child... or there would be consequenses... etc.
Then I heard the school staff of my state talking about specail ed kids, and knew that the hopes I had of relying on the public school staff would be changed forever.
Did you ever have something, hear something, see something... that you knew wasn't going to leave you. Their ignorance and inflaming comments were it.
I know I can be prone to theatrics (I would deny it to anyone I live with)... but seriously... it reminded me of pre-war germany where the jews and infirm were identified as being the ones who were preventing the masses from having all they wanted. are typical parents going to begin to see my child as someone sucking up their resources and resources that could be used for their child " who could actually benefit from it"
Beat night last night.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I have heard those remarks. Our budget failed too.

    I am angry and frustrated. Should we email the MF again? ggggrrrrr Angry Jersey Girls on the Loose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already did!
    Emailed him this morning. Called him a liar. Wanted to curse, but my husband talked me down...lol

    New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has twice as many highly paid employees on his staff as Jon Corzine, according to the AP.

    The AP says nearly twice as many people are making $100,000 or more in Christie's administration than were in Corzine's.

    An analysis has found that while Christie has proposed laying off 1,300 state workers, he is spending nearly $2 million more on annual salaries than his predecessor.

    Under Corzine, 17 people made $100,000 or more in 2009 compared to 34 making six figures so far under Christie -- including the governor himself, who makes $175,000.

    Corzine's payroll was $7 million last year. Christie's is $8.9 million.

    Earlier this month, Christie's office posted a list of his staff and their salaries. It does not include Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno, who also serves as the Secretary of State and makes $141,000.

    The news comes as the budget battles between Christie and the teachers union are heating up.

    The state teachers' union is angry about Christie's deep cuts to the state's education budget.

    Christie says times are tough, and everyone in New Jersey needs to watch their spending.

    ReplyDelete