Tuesday, October 13, 2009

To Potty Train or not to Potty Train...That is the question

To Potty Train or not to Potty Train...That is the question. Says it all. Ben turned 4 in July, and we're begining to think about the whole next step.
Ben typically wakes up dry. The last week I've been putting him on the potty as soon as he wakes up, and he's been blessing the potty. Of course he does this after he's asked "donut?" and been assured his efforts will be rewarded. He pees and takes off down stairs with clothes to get the donut. I don't want his teeth to rot or fill up on crap, so I'm going to have to come up with a different reward for the long haul...
I saw another mom of bens classmates and she told me they're getting ready to start also. She told us the teacher sent home a paper with the multi-step procedure to autistic potty training. On the bright side she's only heard positive results from other parents.
I wonder if it's sheer laziness, or the unknown that's making me dread it. To be brutaly honest... diapers are easy! we can travel long stretches at a time, never have to take him into those public restrooms where all you do is shout "Don't touch that... dirty!"
But.... I think it's time. I do get a kick out of the whole take your child to the potty every 30 minutes and have them sit 10-20 minutes. When do I pee?
Other then that... I think Ben has seasonal allergies. He woke up this morning with chest congestion. It sounded like sh*t! All I kept thinking was "SWINE!" My mother says I'm obsessed, which would be hard to believe. Typically I'm unable to hold a thought long enough to become obsessed with it so.... He did get up, ate (said donut) and was in good spirits, so I tilt towards allergies rather then sick.
Any potty training tips/rewards/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jacquie

1 comment:

  1. Hi- just found your blog and have so much I could say about potty-training lol. I started potty-training my son, Brian, a little bit before he turned four. We actually did the every so many minutes- believe it or not, we started at every five minutes. Two days in a row of no accidents and we would increase it by five more minutes. Every time he went potty he would get one skittle. It was hard work, I'm not going to say it wasn't- but it seemed to work for him! We actually recently developed a regression with bowel movements and we are kind of stuck on what to do for that but hopefully I was of some help to you!

    ReplyDelete